Letter to Parents from Parent Learning HubFebruary 9, 2017
Dear Parents and Carers,
We’d like to remind you that you that Parent Learning runs every Wednesday, and everyone is welcome. (We always start with coffee and pastries!) Here’s an update on what Parent Learning Hub has been up to, and our plans for the coming half term.
Thank you to all our incredible parents who attended our training this term on how to:
- Support our children in acquiring the skills to manage, both academically and behaviourally, in the classroom.
- Enhance pro-social skills to enable our young people to be part of the school community, in accordance with British core values.
- Be directly involved in safeguarding issues concerning their own children.
- Have a better understanding of how a pupil’s progress is monitored.
Safer Internet Day
On February 7th, we took part in the UK-wide safer internet day. We all want to help our children enjoy their time online, so parents, carers, teachers and children came together to talk over key issues. First, we discussed how we can make the internet a better place. Then we asked our young people if they have seen images posted which might be hurtful to someone, and talked about whom they could turn to for help.
For more information please visit https://www.saferinternet.org.uk/
Our young people in key stage 1 have made terrific posters to share their learning…
Next half term we will be looking at:
- Children’s problems and difficulties – scope and limitation of diagnoses.
- Understanding and spotting the physical and psychological signs of stress – learning best practice in supporting children in high states of distress.
- Understanding and interpreting emotions and mental states.
- Spotting signs of marginalisation, racism and risk of radicalisation.
- Challenging behaviours – their origins and management.
- Improving executive functions (concentration and attention, inner state control, working memory, problem solving).
- Understanding child development.
- Developing empathy and other pro-social qualities
- Building mutual respect and trust.
- Implementing rules and boundaries
Please let us know if you have any other suggestions for learning topics.
Looking forward to seeing everyone at assembly and parent tea on Friday!